More families in Florida have chosen to stay at home this summer due to the closure of COVID-19 and concerns about health and safety. As a result, more and more people are finding solace in the benefits of backyard pools since public and beach pools are now less accessible than ever. In fact, a Reuters article mentions that one pool supplier saw their sales increase by 50% in July 2020 compared to the same period in 2019. This trend has led many residents to contemplate whether they should tackle pool maintenance on their own or seek assistance from pool companies in South Florida.
Let’s explore whether you can save money by maintaining your Florida pool by yourself.
How Much Can I Save by Doing My Own Pool Service?
Cleaning a pool can be a task that takes around 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the equipment you use. This upkeep is something you’ll need to do every week. Professional pool maintenance services can complete the job in less than an hour, thanks to their use of specialized tools.
Doing your pool maintenance yourself may seem like it will save you a significant amount of money, but the savings may not be as substantial. First off, you’ll need all the supplies, chemicals, and equipment needed for maintenance – which may add up over time! You should do more research into exactly how much will be spent before embarking on this path.
How Much Will It Cost to Service My Own Pool?
Let’s look at a breakdown of the costs you will incur if your pool is serviced yourself.
- Testing kit – $50 – $75 added to the cost if you choose to maintain your pool yourself.
- Chemicals – Chemicals play a crucial role in keeping your pool clean and safe. They can add up to about $50 every month. If you hire pool companies in South Florida with a contractor license, you might get a discount. However, if you’re not licensed, you’ll have to pay the full price.
- Filter replacement cartridges – These can range from $50 for the basic type to up to $200 for an expensive one. These filter replacements are also heavily discounted for pool contractors, much like car parts.
- Replacement sand – This will likely cost you around $25 per 50lb.
- DE for filtering – As a guideline, a 25lb bag will cost around $30.
- Pool vacuums: These range in price from $200 to $2000, depending on brand and quality.
Considerations for Pool Maintenance Costs
The overall price also doesn’t include the time you spend maintaining your pool and making repairs. This does not include the gas required to transport chemicals, the smell left in your vehicle after driving home with the chlorine, or the cost associated with shocking and restoring an unclean pool if you are unable to manage your pool cleaning services.
Your time should be spent enjoying time with loved ones and friends. Not shopping and adding chemicals, checking the water level, cleaning leaves from your pool, inspecting equipment, and polishing handrails until they shine – this is not an efficient use of time!
At the end of a busy day, it can seem like there are always the same tasks to complete at night. Additionally, you should plan ahead for any vacations as hiring someone to look after your pool will require advance preparation.
The cost of maintaining your pool depends heavily on how valuable your time is; some find saving $200-$400 each year by doing it themselves is worthwhile, while others would rather invest more money and hire professional pool technicians for ongoing pool care.
Are you in Florida looking for the ideal pool maintenance service and what they can offer to assist in maintaining your pool needs? Here will be discussed shortly. Let’s first see what the average pool maintenance service covers!
Planning for vacations is also important, as you will need to hire someone to maintain your pool while on vacation.
What Is Usually Included in a Monthly Pool Maintenance Contract?
It’s important that you know what you will get for your money when you hire a pool maintenance company.
In general, the most reliable pool cleaners will clean your pool every week. It is important to remember that larger pools with more water features will require additional visits.
Your average pool technician will perform the following tasks:
- Manage the water level
- Remove debris, such as leaves
- Empty the skimmer bins
- Ensure filters are operating at maximum efficiency
- Vacuum pool surface
- Check the pH level of the water
- Chemical pool balancing
- Clean steps and walls
- Add the right amount of chlorine in order to prevent bacteria and algae buildup
- Reset time clocks
- Maintenance of the backwash filter helps remove dirt and debris that have been trapped
As you can see, an expert team of maintenance professionals will service your pool thoroughly to the highest standard. This ensures that your pool is working safely and effectively.
What’s the price? Let’s see.
How Much Does It Cost to Maintain a Pool in Florida on a Monthly Basis?
As with all expenses, these will depend on who you hire for Florida pool maintenance and the other factors we will explore further. In general, expect to pay between $200 and $400 monthly.
Pool companies in South Florida typically charge depending on your pool type and other factors. It might seem confusing why the difference exists but let us explain why your service maintenance costs could possibly be a little higher than expected.
What Factors Can Increase the Cost of Pool Maintenance?
The size and frequency of your pool service are two of the most important factors that determine the cost of pool maintenance. The larger the pool, the longer it will take you to maintain.
Find out what factors will affect the cost of pool service from reliable pool companies in South Florida.
- Size of Your Pool – Larger pools require more chemicals and time/labor.
- Location – If you place your pool near a tree or a wooded area it will collect more leaves than a pool that is placed far away from an area where foliage can fall into the pool. You should also be aware that pools located in areas where there is a lot of rain will require more maintenance.
- Types of Pool – Depending on the type of pool you have, whether it is saltwater or chlorine, your cost for pool maintenance may vary.
- Use – A pool that is used frequently will require more maintenance than one that only gets occasional use.
- Pool Equipment – If your pool has extra equipment such as lighting and heating, it may affect the service cost, since you may need more service calls and/or repairs.
- Water Features – These include spas, waterfalls, and other similar items. They usually need special attention.
- Pools without Screening – These pools do not have a screen around them. The screens protect your pool against leaves, frogs, and dirt. You can expect to save money on pool maintenance if you install one.
- Pool Equipment – Hard-to-reach pool equipment will increase costs because it takes more work to maintain.
We’ve now seen a breakdown of some of the factors that could influence the price of your pool service.
These are variable costs that will be included in your pool service plan and will, of course, vary depending on what kind of pool you own, such as a skimmer or overflow pool.
How Can You Find a Reputable Company to Work With?
Google reviews are a must. Compare bad reviews with positive ones to determine how a reputable and trustworthy company will maintain your pool.
Does a company’s good reputation show that they clean your pool as promised? Prices are consistent? Can you find any negative reviews that claim the pool was not cleaned properly?
Pool service companies that you can trust are also listed on the following websites:
- Home Advisor
- Facebook & more
Are They Insured and Certified?
A second important factor is to check the certification and insurance. If you don’t, you could find yourself paying more for any repairs you make that may damage your pool.
On their website and other materials, the best pool service providers will always display certification. Certified pool service providers have undergone training and have the necessary knowledge and skills to maintain and repair pools. This certification assures you that they are qualified to work on your pool.
Pool maintenance and repairs involve potential risks, such as damage to your pool equipment or property. Hiring an insured company ensures that you are protected in case of accidents or mishaps during the service. Without insurance, you might end up bearing the financial burden of any unexpected damages.
Are there any more red flags that we should be on the lookout for? Find out.
What to Look Out for When Selecting a Pool Companies in South Florida
- Skipped Pool Cleaning. Some less scrupulous pool service companies may overbook, and skip servicing your swimming pool. Reliable companies will leave notes at your home that include all details, including the time of arrival, the condition and maintenance of the pool.
- Used Parts for Repairs. A reputable pool company will use only brand-new parts. If you have a lot of repairs to be done, ask to see the parts.
- Additional Pool Chemical Charge. A reputable pool company will charge a flat rate for all chemicals and not charge extra if you want to add any that were approved at the start of your contract. Before signing with a pool company, you should be aware of the cost of maintenance. These costs do not include pool repairs.
Is It Easy to Reach Them by Phone?
You can identify some of the more fraudulent pool service providers by their inability to be reached by phone.
A company that is difficult to reach will not provide you with the best service. It is important to avoid any service provider that is difficult to reach by phone.
Phone accessibility is vital for effective communication, allowing you to discuss your pool’s needs, schedule maintenance, and address concerns promptly. It also helps in dealing with unexpected pool issues quickly, preventing potential damage and inconvenience.
Get a FREE Quote from Miami’s Premiere Pool Company!
We hope our article has given you the info you need to decide if you want to hire a pro to take care of your Florida pool. Don’t forget to contact our friendly experts to talk about your options. We can help you spend less time cleaning and enjoy your pool more.
If you live in Miami-Dade County, Florida Pool Patio offers great pool services including poo construction, pool remodeling, and pool repairs. You can get a price quote through email or text without having to come in person! To find out more, call us at (305) 590-5263. Our strong commitment and values make us the best choice for your pool needs in South FL.
Services We Offer: